What if Russia established a protectorate over Korea in the 1860s, 70s, 80s or 90s?
Add Reply
Rob
2017-07-15 17:02:49 UTC
Could Russia have plausibly set up a protectorate in Korea during the 19th century, or at least gotten to lease a naval base or two on the Korean coast (Busan & Wonsan perhaps)?

In what times and circumstances would it be most plausible? How could it be accomplished by Russia?

Would a Russian base in Korea make Port Arthur much less relevant strategically after Korean bases are set up?

Thinking on this, I think that yes, if the Russians try to move into Korea before the Sino-Japanese War, the Chinese will be angry at them. If the Russians try *after* the Sino-Japanese (as they did) but somewhat more quickly, aggressively and effectively than OTL, China will actually like it, seeing it as offering a Russian shield against Japan.

Since the Chinese contested Russian probes and got them to back off in Turkestan during the Ili crisis (1877-1881), I think they would contest, perhaps successfully, Russian assertions in Korea up to that time. However, China is probably powerless to contest any Russian moves once it is at war with France in the 1880s. Naturally the Japanese will hate it and fight the move by hook or crook if they can.
Rob
2017-07-22 23:10:00 UTC
I will get more specific. Russia makes its big move for deal with Korea in 1896 instead of its OTL course of focusing on Port Arthur. The motive is mainly strategic. Vladivostok and Port Arthur are not so useful for the Russian Pacific fleet without also possessing ports in Korea.

Meanwhile Koreans like Queen Min welcome Russian influence as a counter to the Japanese.

As part of the agreement Korea grants rail concessions to Russia and leases ports in Wonsan and Busan.

Japan is not amused at all. But, would Japan dare occupy Korea and throw down the gauntlet to Russia at this point?

If Japan did, how would that work out?