Ministates: Russian Empire
g***@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
2017-07-08 20:22:12 UTC
This is a (hopefully) miniseries of miniposts about ministates, in
somewhat Wikipedia-like form.

Name: Российская империя/Россійская Имперія
Official language: Russian (de jure pre-reform orthography, de facto modern orthography is used almost exclusively)
Capital: Romanov Palace in London; Petrograd (claimed de jure)
Religion: Russian Orthodox
Government: aristocratic family; de jure constitutional monarchy lead by an Emperor
Sovereign: Konstantin Alexeevich (Romanov)/Константин Алексеевич (Романов) [note 1]
Area: 0.4 ha; 22 800 000 km² claimed
Population: 14; about 330 million claimed
Currency: Russian rouble
Time zone: Greenwich Mean Time and British Summer Time (Romanov Palace in London); 11 different timezones (claimed)
Drives on the: left (Romanov Palace in London); right (de jure elsewhere)
Calling code: +44 (the same as the UK)
ISO 3166 code: DR
Internet TLD: .dr

Note 1: officially Emperor; as there was no coronation since 1894, the
family is lead by the eldest male member, he however does not hold the
title.

The Romanov family has the peculiar distinction of being simultaneously
the smallest sovereign nation (the Romanov Palace in London) and the
largest country in the world (claiming the Imperial Russia in its 1914
borders).

After February Revolution in Russia in 1917, the tsar and his family
have been put under house arrest. There are conflicting details about
their escape or release (often including fantastic tales about bribing
the officers with a Fabergé egg or an involvement of British MI1
agents), but after an arduous trek through the country plagued by civil
unrest and anarchy the family appeared in Sweden and were given an
asylum by UK.

After the Bolshevik revolution, only a few countries (UK and the
dominion, Kingdom of SHS, Greece) recognized the Romanov family as the
legitimate government of Russia. However, with the normalization of
relations with the Soviet Union, one by one the support wanned and the
UK was the last country to formally recognize the USSR in 1926 - while
not breaking diplomatic relations with the Romanov family.

This reflects its current international status - technically speaking,
the family forms kind of a government in exile. However, as such it is
not recognized by any other country in the world. Most countries
recognize the family as an independent subject of international
relations, and recognize its sovereignty over the Romanov Palace. The
family sees itself as the rightful representation of the Russian Empire
and viewed the territory of the USSR (later Russia and other former
union republics), Finland and Eastern Poland as an unlawfully occupied
territory. This stance invariably brought stern objections from the USSR
(and later Russia), therefore the international relations are usually
described as being with the family, not the country.

The family issues its own passports (under the Russian Empire heading),
since they are not recognized by any country in the world, their usage
is only decorative. A passport can be issued to anyone who is able to
prove his/her relation to the Russian Empire (in practise, being a
citizen of any former USSR republic, Poland or Finland, or speaking
native Russian is accepted). After the collapse of the USSR, the Russian
Empire passports became a fashionable item among Russians, until the
possession has been made a criminal offence in 2000.

The family issues gold coins in denomination of 5, 10 and 15 roubles,
The value of the rouble is fixed at 0.774 grams of pure gold, the visual
appearance of the coins is identical to the 1899 edition, with the
effigy of Konstantin Alexeevich. The coins, although legally a medium of
exchange, are primarily promoted as a bullion investment, with limited
commemorative editions as collectors' items. Though issuing gold coins
had been quite profitable before, the gold price crash in 2012 put the
family into grave financial difficulties.
| Radovan Garabík http://kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk/~garabik/ |
| __..--^^^--..__ garabik @ kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk |
Rich Rostrom
2017-07-08 20:49:44 UTC
Post by g***@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
The family issues gold coins in denomination of 5, 10 and 15 roubles,
15??

I have never heard of a 15-unit coin or note issued by anyone.
--
The real Velvet Revolution - and the would-be hijacker.

http://originalvelvetrevolution.com
g***@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
2017-07-09 08:16:00 UTC
Post by Rich Rostrom
Post by g***@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk
The family issues gold coins in denomination of 5, 10 and 15 roubles,
15??
I have never heard of a 15-unit coin or note issued by anyone.
It's an OTL thing:
http://monitex.com.ua/pokupka-monet/carskie-monety/monety-nikolaya-2-1894-1917/zolotye-monety-nikolaya-2-1/

There was also a 7.50 rouble coin.

(Bulgaria also issued a 1.95583 leva coin - this was however not meant
for circulation)