Robert Frost, Poet of San Francisco?
Add Reply
David Tenner
2017-06-23 14:07:05 UTC
Sometimes the birthplaces of poets (and other authors) are so different from
the places they are associated with that there seems something incongruous
about them. Osip Mandelstam is so much the poet of St. Petersburg that it
seems somehow wrong that he was born in Warsaw. But even stranger is that
Robert Frost, so associated with rural New England, should have been born in
San Francisco (and named Robert Lee Frost, after Robert E. Lee, by his
Copperhead father--who admittedly had New England roots). Suppose Robert's
father had not died in 1885, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Frost and
the family had remained in San Francisco? Can we see Robert Frost as the poet
of Bohemia (in the San Francisco sense)?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemian_Club
--
David Tenner
***@ameritech.net
jerry kraus
He probably would never have become a professional poet, David, without the New England connection. He would likely have simply been a teacher and civil servant, like his father was. Unusual circumstances create unusual people, it's not all genetics, you know.
Tim
A brief overlap with Ferlinghetti and City Lights, but I can't see them getting along very well. Or influencing each other. No appearance at the Six Gallery reading. But you never know. After all Ferlinghetti et al were more often than not transplanted New Yorkers and Kerouac was born in Robert Frost-type country...
The Horny Goat
2017-06-30 04:49:32 UTC
On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 19:39:22 -0700 (PDT), Tim
Post by Tim
Post by David Tenner
[...]
I love that David chose Frost for this. After all is not the author of
"Two roads diverged in a wood ... I took the one less traveled by and
that has made all the difference" the patron saint of this newsgroup?
jerry kraus
2017-06-30 13:05:18 UTC
Post by The Horny Goat
I love that David chose Frost for this. After all is not the author of
"Two roads diverged in a wood ... I took the one less traveled by and
that has made all the difference" the patron saint of this newsgroup?
True, Horny. But, also, doesn't it suggest that if Frost himself had taken the more traveled road, and stayed in San Francisco, he likely wouldn't have become a poet, at all? At least not an important one, anyway. It was the disconnect between his early childhood experiences in California, and later adolescent life in New England that "made all the difference", I strongly suspect.