Attlee killed in Spain, December 1937
Add Reply
David Tenner
2017-07-25 11:15:58 UTC
In December 1937, Clement Attlee visited the embattled Spanish Republic as
head of a British Labour delegation which also included "Red Ellen"
Wilkinson. "When leaving Spain in [Prime Minister Juan] Negrin's personal
aircraft, the Labour delegation were pursued by an Italian plane and forced
to nosedive to escape its guns."
https://books.google.com/books?id=IaX_DQAAQBAJ&pg=PT261

Suppose the plane carrying Attlee had been shot down or crashed, killing all
aboard. Who would succeed Attlee as Leader of the Labour Party? Herbert
Morrison? An able man, but Ernest Bevin hated him. ("When a MP said to
Bevin that 'Morrison was his own worst enemy', he replied, 'Not while I'm
alive he ain't.' http://spartacus-educational.com/TUmorrison.htm ) Also,
Morrison would have lost an important supporter woth the death of Wilkinson
(widely believed to be his lover). Arthur Greenwood? Roy Jenkins states that
Greenwood was "a more outgoing personality and better speaker than his leader
[Attlee]" but as Jenkins diplomatically put it, "He had as great a propensity
to alcohol as had Churchill himself, but he held it less well..."
https://books.google.com/books?id=kkxgBwAAQBAJ&pg=PA601 (Greenwood does not
seem to have made an exhibition of himself the way George Brown later would,
but that he drank too much was well-known.)

Whoever is chosen, does Labour still win in 1945 (my guess is Yes--however
great a war leader Churchill had been, people no longer trusted the
Conservatives, whom they blamed for the interwar failures) and if so, how
does the Labour Government of this ATL differ from Attlee's?

(BTW, even after the Labour delegation left Spain, it was not out of trouble:
"lightning struck their plane on the flight between Paris and Croydon."
https://books.google.com/books?id=5fA_CwAAQBAJ&pg=PA330 Maybe that would be
a better POD for a fatal plane crash than the Italian airplane shooting it
down or causing it to crash in Spain, which could complicate realtions
between the UK and Italy. Though I suppose most British Conservatives would
feel that anyone visiting Spain to support the Republic did so at his or her
own risk.)
--
David Tenner
***@ameritech.net
Rich Rostrom
2017-07-25 23:01:09 UTC
Post by David Tenner
Though I suppose most British Conservatives would
feel that anyone visiting Spain to support the
Republic did so at his or her own risk.)
And also anyone visiting Spain to support the Nationalists.

Did any Conservative MPs visit Nationalist Spain during the war?
--
The real Velvet Revolution - and the would-be hijacker.

http://originalvelvetrevolution.com
David Tenner
2017-07-26 00:04:24 UTC
Post by Rich Rostrom
Post by David Tenner
Though I suppose most British Conservatives would
feel that anyone visiting Spain to support the
Republic did so at his or her own risk.)
And also anyone visiting Spain to support the Nationalists.
Did any Conservative MPs visit Nationalist Spain during the war?
Sir Arnold Wilson. https://books.google.com/books?id=e4qtAwAAQBAJ&pg=PA61

OTOH the "pro-Fascist" Wilson actually died fighting Hitler.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arnold_Wilson
--
David Tenner
***@ameritech.net
The Horny Goat
2017-07-26 16:23:54 UTC
On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 18:01:09 -0500, Rich Rostrom
Post by Rich Rostrom
Post by David Tenner
Though I suppose most British Conservatives would
feel that anyone visiting Spain to support the
Republic did so at his or her own risk.)
And also anyone visiting Spain to support the Nationalists.
Did any Conservative MPs visit Nationalist Spain during the war?
Don't know of any BUT on at least two occasions Italian ships fighting
for Franco attack British shipping off the Spanish coast.

Could this have led to an Anglo-Italian war in 1937 or 1938? The
Munich Conference (which I think was Sept 1938 - well after these
events) could have been quite different - if it existed at all.

It is unlikely you would have had Mussolini and Chamberlain at the
same table.

https://rwhiston.wordpress.com/2010/02/17/1/ - there are plenty of
other articles on naval warfare in the Spanish Civil War