Ping Alex ~ Arab sea exploration
a425couple
2017-07-21 02:54:23 UTC
Alex M., you have several times posted around the general
subject regarding what voyages of Discovery the Arabs
might have done, or not done.
(i.e. if they had kept control of Iberian Peninsula)

I would think you would enjoy reading in one book I recently
purchased and am working on.
It is "The Discoverers, A history of man's search to know
his world and himself" by Daniel J. Boorstin.

It has 8 full pages specifically devoted to
"Why not the Arabs". And plenty others that touch it.

It is commonly available in libraries.
or inexpensive at:
https://www.amazon.com/Discoverers-History-Search-World-Himself/dp/0394726251

This also has info on it:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/714380.The_Discoverers

One amazon review I find very valid:
5.0 out of 5 stars Knowledge and fun in bits and pieces
ByNaunoon January 19, 2017
Format: Hardcover|Verified Purchase
A wondrous exploration of discoveries of all kinds. In fact, a
celebration of mankind and his voluminous accomplishments. This is all
presented in an entertaining way. And, it need not be read in the way
presented. Skip around a bit and have some fun. Even take a time-out to
read a novel, but this could be your come-back-to-book for the year.
Have a great, knowledgeable read all year - however you wish to arrange it!
Alex Milman
2017-07-21 03:38:02 UTC
Post by a425couple
Alex M., you have several times posted around the general
subject regarding what voyages of Discovery the Arabs
might have done, or not done.
(i.e. if they had kept control of Iberian Peninsula)
I would think you would enjoy reading in one book I recently
purchased and am working on.
It is "The Discoverers, A history of man's search to know
his world and himself" by Daniel J. Boorstin.
It has 8 full pages specifically devoted to
"Why not the Arabs". And plenty others that touch it.
Thanks. Can you please provide a synopsis of these 8 pages?
a425couple
2017-07-21 15:53:47 UTC
Post by Alex Milman
Post by a425couple
Alex M., you have several times posted around the general
subject regarding what voyages of Discovery the Arabs
might have done, or not done.
(i.e. if they had kept control of Iberian Peninsula)
I would think you would enjoy reading in one book I recently
purchased and am working on.
It is "The Discoverers, A history of man's search to know
his world and himself" by Daniel J. Boorstin.
It has 8 full pages specifically devoted to
"Why not the Arabs". And plenty others that touch it.
Thanks. Can you please provide a synopsis of these 8 pages?
Not really. Too much information going both ways.
A strong point, is that when you are quite comfortable
and in control, you do not need to make serious efforts
and big risks exploring.

But, try this:
go to Google Books, and plonk in
"The Discoverers" "So quickly was the effect of the Portuguese sea route
felt that by 1503"
should take you to page 178, just before that chapter.

or try:
https://books.google.com/books?id=aEr07wJ21NYC&pg=PA178&dq=%22The+Discoverers%22+%22So+quickly+was+the+effect+of+the+Portuguese+sea+route+felt+that+by+1503%22&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiOtM7Q25rVAhUMwGMKHXNtBDgQ6AEIKDAA#v=onepage&q=%22The%20Discoverers%22%20%22So%20quickly%20was%20the%20effect%20of%20the%20Portuguese%20sea%20route%20felt%20that%20by%201503%22&f=false
Alex Milman
2017-07-21 16:15:17 UTC
Post by a425couple
Post by Alex Milman
Post by a425couple
[...]
And the chapter is not available.... :-(

An argument that you brought above seems quite valid, much more so than the
alleged Arab advances in astronomy, mathematics, navigation, etc. (but
somehow not in a ship building). An easy access to the desirable goods
removes the incentives. When Portuguese arrived to India practically the
only things that the local rulers wanted from them were gold and silver and
the pattern stayed all the way to the late XVIII: the locals simply were not
interested in the European goods.
a425couple
2017-07-21 19:12:47 UTC
Post by Alex Milman
Post by a425couple
Post by Alex Milman
Post by a425couple
[...]
So,,,, on your computer system or account, or from your area,
neither the Google Books search, nor the 'shortcut' citation
work!! Bummer. I do not understand why it works for my
search, but not for others.

And, then sometimes, it's the other way around.
Post by Alex Milman
An argument that you brought above seems quite valid, much more so than the
alleged Arab advances in astronomy, mathematics, navigation, etc. (but
somehow not in a ship building). An easy access to the desirable goods
removes the incentives. When Portuguese arrived to India practically the
only things that the local rulers wanted from them were gold and silver and
the pattern stayed all the way to the late XVIII: the locals simply were not
interested in the European goods.
That was one, of several explanations.
As I said earlier, I think with you interests the book
is worthwhile. And, for only $4.50! (I'm frugal,
but that seems very reasonable for interesting stuff!)