FYI: Shiny new AH discussion board at www.alternatehistory.net/discussion
Ian Montgomerie
2004-01-18 06:34:47 UTC
FYI to anyone with interest in a web-based AH discussion board. I
just set up a new one at the following address to replace the old
alternatehistory.com discussion board:

http://www.alternatehistory.net/discussion

The reason for the replacement is that the new board uses much better
software (VBulletin 3) and runs on a higher performance server. A
bunch of people complained about the slow and quirky nature of the old
board, but now the new one is much better. In a week or so once I
finish making the address changes, the old alternatehistory.com
address will also point to the new board.

If you've never heard about this, it's a moderated web board devoted
to discussing alternate history (though there are also topics for ASB
stuff and off-topic chat). The amount of traffic is generally similar
to that here in SHWI. I like to keep it a pretty open board and free
speech is strongly encouraged, so long as people don't flame others or
needlessly insult their beliefs.

Warning: apparently some people have been having trouble with the
registration process. After you register the board should send you an
email. Click the link in the email to activate your account. If you
don't get an email or experience any other problem, email me at the
following address:

***@alternatehistory.net
Ian Montgomerie
2004-01-18 20:27:39 UTC
Post by Ian Montgomerie
FYI to anyone with interest in a web-based AH discussion board. I
just set up a new one at the following address to replace the old
http://www.alternatehistory.net/discussion
Also the new board allowed me to make a "writers' forum" which is
readable only by board members. So if you want to post some fiction
or other work for commentary, it can't be read by anybody on the
internet who reads the board with a google search or whatever, but
just by the registered members. This isn't a substitute for dedicated
writers' workshop sites like critters.org, but it's a place to get
AH-oriented commentary.

DISCLAIMER: Publishers' conception of "first publication" rights is an
arcane thing that I'm not giving legal advice on. I'm simply pointing
out that you can post stuff in a forum where it is known that at most
a few hundred people will read it.
President Chester A. Arthur
2004-01-18 21:14:14 UTC
Spam spam spam wonderful spam...

----

"I lack sufficient capabilities to express my disdain.''
-Richard Boucher
David Johnson
2004-01-18 23:56:50 UTC
Post by President Chester A. Arthur
Spam spam spam wonderful spam...
Much as spam bugs the **** out of me, in what way does - on an Alternate
History newsgroup - telling us about an Alternate History web board
constitute "spam?"

David
David Johnson home.earthlink.net/~trolleyfan

"You're a loony, you are!"
"They said that about Galileo, they said that about Einstein..."
"Yeah, and they said it about a good few loonies, too!"
President Chester A. Arthur
2004-01-19 00:45:29 UTC
Ian Montgomerie
2004-01-19 04:50:18 UTC
Post by President Chester A. Arthur
All right, maybe it's not spam, but it's really disagreeable. Would I trust
someone with Ian's poor impulse control, inability to handle reasoned debate
and general cowardice to run a message board? Of course not.
Well dear fellow, the example is sitting on the web for all to see and
has been for years. Doubtless my incompetence as a board
administrator is reflected in lack of membership and constant
complaints about abuse of authority. That being so, you should be
confident that anyone who clicks on the link will soon see for
themselves that this is the case, relieving you of the need to belabor
the point.

I do apologize to the members of this newsgroup who may not be
interested in the alternatehistory.com/alternatehistory.net discussion
board, for spamming this newsgroup so many mentions of it. I realize
that to some people, mentioning it on around half a dozen occasions in
three years is excessive. I happen to disagree, and hope that we can
live and let live.
Dave Knudson
2004-01-19 03:26:14 UTC
SNIP
Thanks, Ian. I really like your alternatehistory.com pages, and
appreciate the effort you put in there.

Do you allow individual segments; i.e. pieces of timelines, or do you
need the whole thing all at once?

Thanks.

Dave Knudson
Ian Montgomerie
2004-01-19 04:54:46 UTC
Post by Dave Knudson
SNIP
Thanks, Ian. I really like your alternatehistory.com pages, and
appreciate the effort you put in there.
Do you allow individual segments; i.e. pieces of timelines, or do you
need the whole thing all at once?
If you want to post something on the discussion board for commentary,
it's up to you what you post. Preferably it should have something to
do with alternate history or real history. :)

The main web site also has a list of links to timelines on other
peoples' web sites. For people who want a link to their stuff, I have
a fuzzily defined cutoff where it has to be at least several pages
long to get a link.