European-style ethnic unification movements in the Third World?
Add Reply
WolfBear
2017-08-10 01:21:32 UTC
In our TL, we saw ethnic unification movements in Germany, Italy, Poland, Greece, Romania, and Serbia in the late 19th and/or early 20th centuries. Basically, the purpose of these movements was to incorporate as many ethnic Germans/Italians/Poles/Greeks/Romanians/Serbs in one state by conquering and annexing territories where these ethnic groups consisted of a large part of the population.

Overall, these movements achieved great success (though there were some "setbacks"--such as Romania's loss of Moldova in 1940 and the "loss" of the Serb-majority areas of Bosnia after the collapse of Yugoslavia).

Anyway, what I am curious is this--could we see any European-style ethnic unification movements in the Third World? If so, could any such movements actually succeed in the Third World?

Also, for the record, I suspect that the likeliest candidates among Third World ethnic groups for such a movement would be the Somalis and the Kurds. However, I am curious as to whether or not there are any other Third World ethnic groups which would likewise have a serious chance of creating such a movement.

(In addition to this, Yes, as Alex Milman previously said, there needs to be some kind of feeling of national solidarity in order for genuine nations to emerge in the Third World.)

Anyway, any thoughts on this?
Rich Rostrom
2017-08-10 14:00:57 UTC
Post by WolfBear
Anyway, what I am curious is this--could we see any
European-style ethnic unification movements in the
Third World?
The United Arab Republic.

Nagorno-Karabakh. (If one considers the Trans-Caucasus
part of the Third World.)

Aztlan. (It's a Third World movement against a First
World country.)
--
The real Velvet Revolution - and the would-be hijacker.

http://originalvelvetrevolution.com