How far could the Boxer Rebellion movement have gone if the Dowager had tried to suppress rather than abet them?
Rob
2017-07-20 03:32:29 UTC
Was their popular support/momentum such that they would have overcome regular Qing forces and been able to besiege foreign legations?

Or could they have been suppressed, preventing the worst anti foreign outbreaks and subsequent retaliations by the eight-nation alliance?
Rob
2017-07-22 18:34:58 UTC
Post by Rob
Was their popular support/momentum such that they would have overcome regular Qing forces and been able to besiege foreign legations?
Or could they have been suppressed, preventing the worst anti foreign outbreaks and subsequent retaliations by the eight-nation alliance?
At least once, I've heard the argument that the Dowager not siding with the Boxers could *worsen* her political position and *decrease* the dynastic longevity of the Qing.

I found the idea a biit counter-intuitive, but what do you think?