AHC: Three US states share a word in their names (other than North, New, etc.)
Add Reply
David Tenner
2017-09-25 17:26:09 UTC
Someone noted that "Germany has only 16 states yet three of them have
'Saxony' in the name."

AHC: Get three US states to share a word in their names other than New, North
or South (or West or East).

The most obvious would be Texas dividing itself up. Also, I could imagine an
Upper California, Middle California, and Lower California.
--
David Tenner
***@ameritech.net
Rich Rostrom
2017-09-25 19:20:48 UTC
Post by David Tenner
AHC: Get three US states to share a word in their
names other than New, North or South (or West or
East).
The most obvious would be Texas dividing itself up.
Also, I could imagine an Upper California, Middle
California, and Lower California.
West Florida, East Florida, South Florida.

PoD: Napoleon catches Cleopatra's Revenge in Egypt.
The French Wars cool down, and Spain is not invaded
and trashed. Spain retains Louisiana and Florida until
the US takes them by war. In the first war
(1823-1829), the US takes Louisiana and West Florida
(the "panhandles" of MS, AL, and FL) and immediately
organizes them as territories. East Florida (south of
Georgiaholds out for several years, thanks to stout
resistance from Seminole Indians and free black
"maroons".

The US advances to down past Tampa Bay, but is halted
there by fierce guerrilla fighting in the swamps, as
the Indians and maroons fall back from the north, and
the still-powerful Spanish Navy prevents any seaborne
attacks and protects the Keys.

After the war ends, East Florida is organized as a
separate territory.

In 1887, the US buys South Florida from Spain, which
is all messed up with bankruptcy and a succession war.
South Florida becomes a new territory, and eventually
a state.

Rhode Island, Long Island, Hawaiian Island(s)

Somehow Long Island separates from New York state;
Hawaii has a different name.
--
Nous sommes dans une pot de chambre, et nous y serons emmerdés.
--- General Auguste-Alexandre Ducrot at Sedan, 1870.
The Horny Goat
2017-09-25 19:56:18 UTC
On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 14:20:48 -0500, Rich Rostrom
Post by Rich Rostrom
Post by David Tenner
AHC: Get three US states to share a word in their
names other than New, North or South (or West or
East).
The most obvious would be Texas dividing itself up.
Also, I could imagine an Upper California, Middle
California, and Lower California.
West Florida, East Florida, South Florida.
PoD: Napoleon catches Cleopatra's Revenge in Egypt.
The French Wars cool down, and Spain is not invaded
and trashed. Spain retains Louisiana and Florida until
the US takes them by war. In the first war
(1823-1829), the US takes Louisiana and West Florida
(the "panhandles" of MS, AL, and FL) and immediately
organizes them as territories. East Florida (south of
Georgiaholds out for several years, thanks to stout
resistance from Seminole Indians and free black
"maroons".
Interesting idea - my personal choice would have been the District of
Columbia renaming itself as some form of "Virginia" to go with the
other two. Perhaps in a US Civil War scenario where the Confederacy
besieges but does not take DC but levels the city.

(I'm skeptical the Confederacy could collect enough artillery to get
through the DC defences without fatally denuding itself elsewhere
particularly on the Mississippi)
Dimensional Traveler
2017-09-25 20:17:19 UTC
Post by Rich Rostrom
Post by David Tenner
[...]
South Carolina seceded from Carolina (which got renamed North Carolina).
Just have the Caolinians be even more cantankerous and have a second
section secede. North Carolina, Carolina and South Carolina.
instinct are running screaming.
David Tenner
2017-09-29 19:30:45 UTC
Post by Dimensional Traveler
Just have the Caolinians be even more cantankerous and have a second
section secede. North Carolina, Carolina and South Carolina.
The (relatively) most likely scenario for a third Carolina is to have NC
undergo a VA-style east vs. west struggle over secession, with western North
Carolina breaking away to form the state of West Carolina.

It's not very likely to happen, though; western North Carolinians were not as
staunchly Unionist as northwestern Virginians, nor were they in as good a
geographical position to defend the adherence of their new state to the
Union...
--
David Tenner
***@ameritech.net
Pete Barrett
2017-09-26 16:36:42 UTC
Post by David Tenner
Someone noted that "Germany has only 16 states yet three of them have
'Saxony' in the name."
AHC: Get three US states to share a word in their names other than New,
North or South (or West or East).
The most obvious would be Texas dividing itself up. Also, I could
imagine an Upper California, Middle California, and Lower California.
The Mississippi flows through a lot of states - any three (or more) of
them might have had Mississippi in the name, distinguished by Upper and
Lower and Central, or something of the sort.
Pete BARRETT
Insane Ranter
2017-09-27 03:07:25 UTC
I did not think we could use New, North, South, West or East?

Uppper Michigan, Lower Michigan, and Michigan

Upper Michigan the Northern peninsula, Lower Michigan Part of the Southern Peninsula and the Toledo strip and Michigan the other part of the lower peninsula more northern.
Rick Pikul/Chakat Firepaw
2017-09-28 02:02:44 UTC
Post by Insane Ranter
I did not think we could use New, North, South, West or East?
The rule was you couldn't use them as the shared word. So New York, New
Jersey and New Mexico don't count as a set.
Chakat Firepaw - Inventor and Scientist (mad)
Gene Wirchenko
2017-09-27 03:06:50 UTC
On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 12:26:09 -0500, David Tenner
Post by David Tenner
Someone noted that "Germany has only 16 states yet three of them have
'Saxony' in the name."
AHC: Get three US states to share a word in their names other than New, North
or South (or West or East).
The most obvious would be Texas dividing itself up. Also, I could imagine an
Upper California, Middle California, and Lower California.
The District of Columbia is named for Washington: District of
Washington. The state of Washington is named as per OTL. (This
preserves the OTL confusion between the two. Traditions are
important.) Some small secessionist group breaks away somewhere and
makes it stick; they call their state something with "Washington" in
it. New Washington?

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko
Rick Pikul/Chakat Firepaw
2017-09-28 02:01:01 UTC
Post by Gene Wirchenko
Post by David Tenner
Someone noted that "Germany has only 16 states yet three of them have
'Saxony' in the name."
AHC: Get three US states to share a word in their names other than New,
North or South (or West or East).
The most obvious would be Texas dividing itself up. Also, I could
imagine an Upper California, Middle California, and Lower California.
The District of Columbia is named for Washington: District of
Washington. The state of Washington is named as per OTL. (This
preserves the OTL confusion between the two. Traditions are important.)
You could do this the other way: The state of Washington is part of what
was known as the Columbia District, (this is why BC is, well, British
Columbia). It wouldn't be that big of a stretch for the American portion
to end up being called something like "American Columbia" rather than the
Oregon Territory, later becoming "South Columbia", (Oregon), and "North
Columbia", (Washington state).
Chakat Firepaw - Inventor and Scientist (mad)
Gene Wirchenko
2017-10-01 05:28:35 UTC
On Thu, 28 Sep 2017 02:01:01 -0000 (UTC), Rick Pikul/Chakat Firepaw
Post by Rick Pikul/Chakat Firepaw
Post by Gene Wirchenko
Post by David Tenner
[...]
I like it.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

t***@go.com
2017-09-27 19:28:05 UTC
Post by David Tenner
Someone noted that "Germany has only 16 states yet three of them have
'Saxony' in the name."
AHC: Get three US states to share a word in their names other than New, North
or South (or West or East).
The most obvious would be Texas dividing itself up. Also, I could imagine an
Upper California, Middle California, and Lower California.
On November 8, 1889, Benjamin Harrison accidentally
spills coffee onto a bill he is about to sign into
law. Forgetting the name of the territory he is
about to admit, but remembering the name of the two
States he just admitted six days earlier, he writes
the words 'West Dakota' into the bill he then signs
into law. After several legal disputes that then
follow, the 3rd and later 4th largest State is
known by that name ever since.

A more realistic scenario would be that the shuffling
of territories a few decades earlier would leave
Dakota Territory large enough to be divided into
three parts rather than two.