AHC: Comedians as presidents/prime ministers
David Tenner
2017-06-02 08:45:21 UTC
How many professional comedians could plausibly become presidents or prime
ministers of their countries? Well, there's Jimmy Morales, currently
president of Guatemala https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Morales and Al
Franken in the US https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Franken and Beppe Grillo
in Italy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beppe_Grillo

Can anyone think of any others?
--
David Tenner
***@ameritech.net
jerry kraus
Isn't Donald Trump a professional comedian? Gets more laughs than most, that's for sure.
Pete Barrett
2017-06-02 14:03:43 UTC
Post by David Tenner
How many professional comedians could plausibly become presidents or prime
ministers of their countries? Well, there's Jimmy Morales, currently
president of Guatemala https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Morales and Al
Franken in the US https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Franken and Beppe
Grillo in Italy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beppe_Grillo
Can anyone think of any others?
Surely Ronald Reagan acted in comedy films occasionally?
Pete BARRETT
jerry kraus
2017-06-02 14:10:27 UTC
Post by Pete Barrett
Post by David Tenner
How many professional comedians could plausibly become presidents or prime
ministers of their countries? Well, there's Jimmy Morales, currently
president of Guatemala https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Morales and Al
Franken in the US https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Franken and Beppe
Grillo in Italy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beppe_Grillo
Can anyone think of any others?
Surely Ronald Reagan acted in comedy films occasionally?
--
Pete BARRETT
Bedtime for Bonzo, is the best known, Pete.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedtime_for_Bonzo
David Tenner
2017-06-02 19:43:38 UTC
Post by Pete Barrett
Post by David Tenner
How many professional comedians could plausibly become presidents or prime
ministers of their countries? Well, there's Jimmy Morales, currently
president of Guatemala https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Morales and Al
Franken in the US https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Franken and Beppe
Grillo in Italy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beppe_Grillo
Can anyone think of any others?
Surely Ronald Reagan acted in comedy films occasionally?
True, but despite Bedtime for Bonzo, he was not known *primarily* as a comic
actor. The films that first brought him to (moderst) fame were films like
Dark Victory, Knute Rockne All American, and Kings Row, which were not
comedies.
--
David Tenner
***@ameritech.net
Alex Milman
2017-06-02 17:51:45 UTC
Post by David Tenner
How many professional comedians could plausibly become presidents or prime
ministers of their countries? Well, there's Jimmy Morales, currently
president of Guatemala https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Morales and Al
Franken in the US https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Franken
Sorry, but the last time I heard about Al Frankenstein he was just one of the
100 US Senators. Was there an out of order presidential election which I
completely missed?
David Tenner
2017-06-02 19:41:03 UTC
Post by Alex Milman
Post by David Tenner
How many professional comedians could plausibly become presidents or
prime ministers of their countries? Well, there's Jimmy Morales,
currently president of Guatemala
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Morales and Al Franken in the US
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Franken
Sorry, but the last time I heard about Al Frankenstein he was just one
of the 100 US Senators. Was there an out of order presidential election
which I completely missed?
Well, Beppe Grillo isn't Prime Minister of Italy, either. I was looking at
anyone who might *plausibly* have become President/Prime Minister, not just
at those who actually have (Jimmy Morales is the only one who has done that
so far.) And Senators are always somewhat plausible presidential candidates,
though some more so than others.

(Hint: this newgroup deals with *alternate* history.)
--
David Tenner
***@ameritech.net
David Tenner
2017-06-02 21:31:40 UTC
Post by David Tenner
Post by Alex Milman
Post by David Tenner
How many professional comedians could plausibly become presidents or
prime ministers of their countries? Well, there's Jimmy Morales,
currently president of Guatemala
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Morales and Al Franken in the US
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Franken
Sorry, but the last time I heard about Al Frankenstein he was just one
of the 100 US Senators. Was there an out of order presidential election
which I completely missed?
Well, Beppe Grillo isn't Prime Minister of Italy, either. I was looking
at anyone who might *plausibly* have become President/Prime Minister,
not just at those who actually have (Jimmy Morales is the only one who
has done that so far.) And Senators are always somewhat plausible
presidential candidates, though some more so than others.
(Hint: this newgroup deals with *alternate* history.)
I notice that you omitted Grillo (who was in my original post)...
--
David Tenner
***@ameritech.net
Alex Milman
2017-06-02 23:12:30 UTC
Post by David Tenner
Post by Alex Milman
Post by David Tenner
How many professional comedians could plausibly become presidents or
prime ministers of their countries? Well, there's Jimmy Morales,
currently president of Guatemala
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Morales and Al Franken in the US
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Franken
Sorry, but the last time I heard about Al Frankenstein he was just one
of the 100 US Senators. Was there an out of order presidential election
which I completely missed?
Well, Beppe Grillo isn't Prime Minister of Italy, either. I was looking at
anyone who might *plausibly* have become President/Prime Minister, not just
at those who actually have (Jimmy Morales is the only one who has done that
so far.) And Senators are always somewhat plausible presidential candidates,
though some more so than others.
Indeed. As of now Frankenstein is in a "less" category, which of course does not
mean that he can't move into "more": after all a junior senator made it without
even being a reasonably well-known clown (or well-known anything). So yes, why
not? But what's the point that you are trying to make?
Post by David Tenner
(Hint: this newgroup deals with *alternate* history.)
I'm aware of that but "plausible" was your condition putting certain limitations
upon the flight of imagination.
David Tenner
2017-06-03 03:01:36 UTC
Post by Alex Milman
But what's the point that you are trying to
make?
That there seem to be a number of professional comedians who are fairly
prominent in politics today (Morales, Grillo, Franken). AFAIK this wasn't
true in the past (Reagan wasn't known *primarily* as a comic actor, nor was
Schwarzenegger) and I was wondering if anyone could think of additional
possibilites, either in the past or present.

(Gracie Allen's 1940 campaign
was
a publicity stunt, though there's an urban legend that she got tens of
thousands of write-in votes...)

The only other name that occurred to me since that post is Fred Grandy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Grandy Perhaps if he had won the 1994
Iowa gubernatorial primary (which he narrowly lost) he could have gone on to
be on the GOP national ticket some day...
--
David Tenner
***@ameritech.net
David Tenner
2017-06-05 14:22:54 UTC
http://youtu.be/k6w8OaByPLg was a publicity stunt,
though there's an urban legend that she got tens of thousands of
write-in votes...)
The only other name that occurred to me since that post is Fred Grandy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Grandy Perhaps if he had won the
1994 Iowa gubernatorial primary (which he narrowly lost) he could have
gone on to be on the GOP national ticket some day...
Oh, and here is someone who was polling 16%...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coluche#Presidential_bid
--
David Tenner
***@ameritech.net
Rich Rostrom
2017-06-04 09:35:30 UTC
Post by David Tenner
Senators are always somewhat plausible presidential candidates,
though some more so than others.
Except for those who are not native-born Americans,
such as James Shields, Carl Schurz, or S. I. Hayakawa,
--
The real Velvet Revolution - and the would-be hijacker.

http://originalvelvetrevolution.com
David Tenner
2017-06-04 12:52:44 UTC
Post by Rich Rostrom
Post by David Tenner
Senators are always somewhat plausible presidential candidates,
though some more so than others.
Except for those who are not native-born Americans,
such as James Shields, Carl Schurz, or S. I. Hayakawa,
And of course there are senators who are under 35, and must therefore wait
awhile. For example, Edward Kennedy would not have been eligible to be on a
national ticket in 1964, nor Robert La Follette, Jr. in 1928.
--
David Tenner
***@ameritech.net
Alex Milman
2017-06-04 13:23:32 UTC
Post by David Tenner
Post by Rich Rostrom
Post by David Tenner
Senators are always somewhat plausible presidential candidates,
though some more so than others.
Except for those who are not native-born Americans,
such as James Shields, Carl Schurz, or S. I. Hayakawa,
And of course there are senators who are under 35, and must therefore wait
awhile. For example, Edward Kennedy
To think about it, Ted could be defined as a professional comedian
(well, the same goes for more than one senator from the People Republic
of MA). :-)
David Tenner
Rich Rostrom
2017-06-05 08:01:41 UTC
Post by David Tenner
And of course there are senators who are under 35, and must therefore wait
awhile. For example, Edward Kennedy would not have been eligible to be on a
national ticket in 1964, nor Robert La Follette, Jr. in 1928.
Or, since the 22nd Amendment was enacted, an ex-two-term President
who has since entered to the Senate.

(That's an AHC, obviously, but I have a way to get to it:
Senator Clinton drops dead with a short time left in her
term, and as has often been done, the governor appoints
the late Senator's spouse to fill the remainder of the
term.)

David Tenner
2017-06-06 06:03:41 UTC
Post by Rich Rostrom
Post by David Tenner
And of course there are senators who are under 35, and must therefore
wait awhile. For example, Edward Kennedy would not have been eligible
to be on a national ticket in 1964, nor Robert La Follette, Jr. in
1928.
Or, since the 22nd Amendment was enacted, an ex-two-term President
who has since entered to the Senate.
Senator Clinton drops dead with a short time left in her
term, and as has often been done, the governor appoints
the late Senator's spouse to fill the remainder of the
term.)
Also, there might be senators, who, though natural born citizens of the US,
have not "been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."
--
David Tenner
***@ameritech.net
The Horny Goat
2017-06-06 10:12:47 UTC
On Tue, 06 Jun 2017 01:03:41 -0500, David Tenner
Post by David Tenner
Also, there might be senators, who, though natural born citizens of the US,
have not "been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."
Constitutionally this has been interpreted generously - thus John
McCain was eligible a navy brat born in a US navy hospital in Panama
while his father was in active naval service.

Presumably the child of a diplomat born in a US embassy abroad would
also qualify since embassies are considered US soil. If mom developed
complications and had to be taken to hospital outside the embassy no
doubt the host country would be amenable to what was done to
temporarily make a certain room in Ottawa General Hospital Dutch
territory for a brief time in 1943. (You all know that story right?)
Rich Rostrom
2017-06-09 19:35:45 UTC
Post by David Tenner
Also, there might be senators, who, though natural born citizens of the US,
have not "been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States."
Constitutionally this has been interpreted generously - thus John
McCain was eligible a navy brat born in a US navy hospital in Panama
while his father was in active naval service.
That was a "natural-born" question; and since McCain's parents were
both citizens, it was irrelevant.

The residency issue might have been applied to Herbert Hoover, who
was in Europe for an extended period during and after WW I,
as head of relief operations, or to VP candidate Richard Nixon in
1952, who had been out in the Pacific with the Navy for two years
during WW II. Several Presidents had served as ministers abroad
within 14 years of taking office, including John Adams, Jefferson,
John Quincy Adams, and Buchanan. Taft served as Resident Commissioner
in the Philippines, which was not exactly "within the United States".

However, the relevant clause states only "resident for 14 years",
not "the previous 14 years"; there is nothing barring a person
who left the U.S. at the age of 14 and lived abroad for 40 or 50
years from being elected President. The candidate need not even
be a resident of the U.S. at the time of election. That requirement
is explicit for a Senator or Representative, who must "when elected,
be an Inhabitant of that State" - but not for the President!