Aunt Bee - If not Frances Bavier, Who?
Add Reply
Stan Engel
2017-07-08 18:59:44 UTC
Frances Bavier (1902-1989) is best remembered for her character Aunt Bee Taylor who appeared on 178 episodes of The Andy Griffith Show, 25 episodes of Mayberry RFD and two episodes of Gomer Pyle, USMC. Suppose, in some alternate reality, Frances Bavier had declined the role and it had gone to another actress. Who would be the ideal alternate reality Aunt Bee? Here are four women who could have fulfilled the character so brilliantly portrayed by Frances Bavier. It may have been necessary in some cases to refer to the lead-female as Sister Bee or Cousin Bee to avoid any sexual innuendo between Bee and Andy Taylor due to the reduced age difference between the two.

Virginia Gregg (1916-1986)

She was a favorite of actor/producer Jack Webb and appeared several times on Dragnet and Adam-12. Her characters varied between those who were slightly touched in the head to those who were unequivocally insane. She also appeared on Perry Mason, Kraft Suspense Theater, Alfred Hitchcock Presents and Twilight Zone.

Irene Tedrow (1907–1995)

She did plenty of portrayals of 19th century farm women but I best remember her for the Twilight Zone episode The Lateness of the Hour (1960), where Inger Stevens discovers to her dismay that she's not the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Loren, but a robot.

Edna Skinner (1921-2003):Best known for playing Kay Addison on Mister Ed. Remember? I sure do.

Nancy Kulp (1921-1991):OK, Miss Hathaway.

So, of the four alternate Aunt Bees, who's the best. I say Virginia Gregg.
Nyssa
2017-07-13 14:34:28 UTC
Post by Stan Engel
[...]
Absolutely no to Nancy Kulp. She simply couldn't have
carried it off over the length of the series.

Virginia Gregg did a lot of radio too, all sorts of parts
from Gunsmoke to Suspense. A nice acting range. She could
easily have handled the part of Bee, but I fear that most
of her talent would have been wasted in Mayberry.

I liked Edna Skinner, but I feel she would come across as
too sophisticated for the part of Aunt Bee.

So it would be Irene Tedrow as my pick.

Nyssa, who is more familiar with the old TV shows and
actors than any of the newer batch of either
The Horny Goat
2017-07-17 04:39:54 UTC
Post by Nyssa
Post by Stan Engel
So, of the four alternate Aunt Bees, who's the best. I say
Virginia Gregg.
Absolutely no to Nancy Kulp. She simply couldn't have
carried it off over the length of the series.
Virginia Gregg did a lot of radio too, all sorts of parts
from Gunsmoke to Suspense. A nice acting range. She could
easily have handled the part of Bee, but I fear that most
of her talent would have been wasted in Mayberry.
I liked Edna Skinner, but I feel she would come across as
too sophisticated for the part of Aunt Bee.
So it would be Irene Tedrow as my pick.
Nyssa, who is more familiar with the old TV shows and
actors than any of the newer batch of either
You might even get Margaret Hamilton who was active into the early
1980s and successfully un-typecasted herself from her Wizard of Oz
role (as the Wicked Witch of the West "I'll get you .... and your
pretty dog too!"). - she did a lot of TV in the 50s/60s/70s and I'll
bet a lot of people would be surprised to hear she was in her 30s when
she did the Wicked Witch.