WI: Al Franken had been a Nazi
jerry kraus
2017-07-05 13:25:53 UTC
Which Nazi would he have been? You could suggest Herman Goering, who was really the "class clown" of the senior Nazi leadership, but, I really can't see Al as a fighter ace in WWI. His public relations expertise suggests possibly Josef Goebbels, but Franken's too self-willed and independent to be anyone's spokesperson. I would suggest Rudolf Hesse. Loyal, independent, quirky, but, a survivor. Actually Hesse's trip to Britain in 1942 is certainly the only reason he didn't end up being executed after WWII. And, he survived into his nineties. Indeed, if MI6 hadn't had him executed to shut him up -- he wasn't suicidal, after all -- Hesse would have been released after the fall of the Soviet Union.
The Horny Goat
2017-07-05 18:10:24 UTC
On Wed, 5 Jul 2017 06:25:53 -0700 (PDT), jerry kraus
Post by jerry kraus
Which Nazi would he have been? You could suggest Herman Goering, who was really the "class clown" of the senior Nazi leadership, but, I really can't see Al as a fighter ace in WWI. His public relations expertise suggests possibly Josef Goebbels, but Franken's too self-willed and independent to be anyone's spokesperson. I would suggest Rudolf Hesse. Loyal, independent, quirky, but, a survivor. Actually Hesse's trip to Britain in 1942 is certainly the only reason he didn't end up being executed after WWII. And, he survived into his nineties. Indeed, if MI6 hadn't had him executed to shut him up -- he wasn't suicidal, after all -- Hesse would have been released after the fall of the Soviet Union.
Hess' flight to England was actually May 1941 - the important
difference from your version being that it was BEFORE Barbarossa.

I think most here would agree that 22 June 1941 was a somewhat
important date in the history of the Third Reich!

Hess' "execution" is a conspiracy theory that is not accepted by most.
It doesn't require ASBs to infer the death of a man his age. For the
record there are a lot of conspiracy theories about Hess though I do
believe he straddled the line between actual and legal competence and
that that was recognized at Nuremberg. (It goes without saying that
American, British and Soviet views on legal competency differ)
jerry kraus
2017-07-05 18:46:55 UTC
Post by jerry kraus
[...]
I think what interests me here is understanding both of these men's personalities in terms of their rather different situations. Al Franken is, the former Saturday Night Live actor and writer who is now a Minnesota Senator. Since Hess actually helped Hitler write Mein Kampf, both Franken and Hess were writers and politicians. And, really, Hess's flight to Britain in 1941, was, actually, the best thing he could possibly have done for himself under the circumstances, a point which is never discussed. It kept him alive. And, gave him quite a long life, too. Similarly, Franken has shown terrific adaptability in his life, and has emerged as a true "survivor". Seriously, I think they're rather similar types.